Wednesday 7 November 2012

Design Principles Task 1

We were provided with 5 type faces chosen by someone else, each exhibited in upper and lower case a-z and using Identifont, we were required to identify the fonts based on the characteristics of the letters.

Identifont asked a series of questions about the characteristics of individual letters in order to determine the typeface, providing you with 'popular matches' that it could be:



The first that i was able to identify was Gotham Bold, easy to tell since Gotham and Gotham Bold were the only two options I was given


The second typeface I found was stencil which I had previously suspected given it's very identifiable format.

In some cases, as which the third font I was identifying there were some questions that I couldn't answer, usually based on glyphs that I wasn't given with the a-z's, however Identifont gives you a 'not sure' option that will provide you with another question.


This typeface turned out to be Imperial, the second of two options, however it was a bit more difficult to distinguish between this type and the first option, Bell.

The fourth I found was Apex Sans, which was described as 'an ideal companion to Apex Serif', which, when I looked at it appeared just as Apex Sans did with a serif being the only differing characteristic.

For the fifth, it was identified as Bodoni but I wasn't given the option of Bodoni Bold which after seeing regular I was sure it was.


No comments:

Post a Comment