Saturday 20 October 2012

Alphabet Soup Part 2 Evauation


Overall, I am pleased with the final outcome of my typeface, I think that keeping it in black and white contributed more to it. I tried to ensure it captured some elements of Suzie's personality, without having a lot going on at once.

It was difficult to keep the typeface simple while including the dynamics and sharpness of the style, as I didn't want it to seem overcrowded. In some of the letters (eg, K, M) I think I went a bit overboard with the design and on a large scale, in the picture below, the seem almost unrecognisable from their original form.



I briefly explored looking at architectural structures, stacked letters and letters designed on squared paper, like a grid, but found that these designs look much like some of the work I had seen of Suzie's. After unsuccessfully trying to adapt them to look less like her own work, I looked into some of the work of Suzie's favourite designer, Peter Saville. Much of his work included very sharp elements, all intersecting, which I felt similarly reflected Suzie's architectural style I lightly based the letterforms on Tahoma in order to keep it simple, as my design was becoming quite complicated. Someone mentioned to me after I had finished drawing up the typeface that I should try connecting them all, which I did with Suzie's name badge.



I missed the final crit, so have quite limited opinions from others. Although i was pleased with the final outcome, I would hope that another time I would be able to convey more of Suzie's personality other than the styles she works in and enjoys. Similarly I would have liked to explore joining the letters together further.

No comments:

Post a Comment