Saturday 6 October 2012

Alphabet Soup - Part 1



We were each given a word that we had to illustrate through a typeface, my word was 'shatter'. I looked some shatter synonyms to see how I could manipulate the word:


blast
blight
burst
 crack
crash
crunch
crush
dash
demolish
destroy
disable
exhaust
explode
fracture
fragment
impair
implode
overturn
pulverize
rend
rive
ruin
scrunch
shiver
smash
smash
smatter
snap
splinter
split
torpedo
wreck

With a selection of these words in mind, I chose to adapt Helvetica Bold, keeping it simple as I planned on making some exaggerated designs.






I explored two different routes with it, one being the more expected, shattered or cracked shards of glass. The other I looked at was shattered in terms of exhausted, tired, weakened. For this I made one N to appear as though it was deteriorating, and an H to appear tired. However neither of these seemed to illustrate the word effectively enough so I made more shattered glass designs.

I looked mostly at shards of glass for my designs as i thought that the designs would be more recognisable to be 'shattered' than the tired/deteriorated designs.















I think that spending more time doing research would have benefited this project greatly as i mostly just jumped right in and only ended up liking about half of my final designs, below. I think improving my time management is key here so that I know that I have done all i can. However, the top 5 that were chosen in the end were my favourites and in my opinion did successfully illustrate the word 'shatter'.

No comments:

Post a Comment