Monday 11 February 2013

Design Is About Doing Research

For my vinyl covers I didn't hesitate in choosing Public Enemy, as the song 'Harder Than You Think' was the one out of the selection that I am most familiar with and above all their style of music is more to my taste than the other options.
I wanted to keep my vinyl covers fairly minimalist so maybe they could work as a series, but primarily because it would give me the scope to choose one element of Public Enemy's music or style and capitalise on it, magnifying a side to them that the viewers would notice.
As a group they have quite a few identifiers, the main one probably being their crosshair logo or the large clocks that the members wore around their necks. These would be simple to replicate and would allow me to vary the images a lot. I wanted to completely move away from their previous album covers, all featuring images of the band members with quite abrupt and large type.





I looked at some very minimalist album and vinyl covers that were along the lines of the style I wanted to channel, most of which by Ty Lettau:







Some other designs I thought would work with the theme:









No comments:

Post a Comment