Wednesday 23 October 2013

OUGD504 Design For Web Task 1

The Design for Web brief requires us to use our summer brief topic to create a website based on our chosen subject. I research Saul Bass over the summer and aim to create a resourceful and functional website using this information.

Initially, I looked at what existing websites focusing on Bass were offering, in terms of information, functionality and target audience. I found that there wasn't much by way of an official website, the closest to which was saulbass.tv, which was sparse in terms of information.



Much of the information provided on this website is only via external links, for example above shows Bass' filmography but clocking these just leads you to IMDB. While the layout is reflective of Bass' approach to graphic design, this can be found anywhere on the internet.

Since there was little option for Saul Bass focused websites, I expanded my search, as I had decided on doing in the brain storm session, as something as specific as Saul Bass leaves little for me to do that hasn't already been done. I started looking into title sequences in general and found there were much more archives, agencies and images available.



This website artofthetitle.com is much more informative and provides plenty of examples and title-sequence related news. This pointed me in a better direction as the term 'title sequence' could fall into motion graphics which is a very vast topic, and could allow me to experiment more.



watchthetitles.com bares plenty of similarities to the previous website, in colour scheme and general make up of the website, allowing it to fall into categories like film, TV, interviews etc.

After examining a few similar websites and their target audience, I started to generate more ideas for my own, and altering my subject matter to specifically motion graphics. By doing this I can have a wide target audience in the graphic design world itself, and from examining some motion graphics websites, they mostly seemed to be more of an archive, not specifying more current or recent examples, and also seemed to be predominantly blog based.



motiongraphics.com is true to it's name and doesn't venture from that topic, but in some cases it makes the website quite narrow, which is mirrored in it's extremely simple layout, which makes it appear as though the designers were trying to make it appear dense with information.


motionserved.com is almost identical to motiongraphics.com, in colour scheme, layout and in limited content, however, motionserved.com seems to serve more as a design blog than of much informative design.

This gave me an idea for my website which would tie into the theme I was exploring for Design For Print. With a focus mainly on motion graphics, directed at graphic designers, I could design it as a counterpart to the magazine/newspaper idea I was looking into for print. Although it would not be directly related, I could allow them to fall under the same umbrella in terms of how I would be informing my audience.



After looking briefly at thetimes.co.uk, I wanted to pursue the idea of the website being constantly updated news based sites are, with recent incorporations of motion graphics in film, in design, in advertising and perhaps a brief history of motion graphics.


I identified that I needed to find a way to set this website apart from just any other fan site or design news blog, but after looking at designweek.co.uk I found that it was very limited by way of motion graphics and looked mainly at print based graphics in the media at the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment