Wednesday 16 October 2013

OUGD504 Development

After brainstorming my two strongest ideas, I decided that I wanted to do something a bit different to what I did last year and so landed on the newspaper idea. However, while I would still intent for it to be printed on newsprint and in the basic format of a newspaper, I wanted to make it much more design based, creating an even ground between text and image.

I wanted to design the front and back pages in a poster format, and possibly also the middle pages. I started coming up with some hand rendered ideas for a front page design, featuring one of my title ideas 'The Print Press':



This design just seemed as though there was far too much going on, and to make it more legible I would have to tone down the illustration, or bulk up the type, which would mean taking this from Times New Roman to either the bold font, of change it to a block font all together.


In this version I changed the illustration and while it has helped, I think I need to include a change in font, to something heavier and more demanding.

I used the same illustration but this time formatted it around Bebas Neue as it fit the criteria for a much heavier block font.


Overall, the block font worked much better than any of the others, but since it was hand-rendered it still has a lot of work that could be done to it, so I outlined the shapes using illustrator.


In the end, I found that there was a little too much going on in this opening page so just stripped it back completely, solely emulating this approach in Illustrator and came up with a more appropriate image:


After deciding on this, I used similar designs to determine the layout of the remainder of the magazine, keeping it simple in terms of colour scheme, but emulating the effect of each printing process in the section that refers to it:









However, it came to my attention that many of the print processes that I planned on including would require a different stock to the remainder of the publication, and in changing the stock for each process, I would be faced with a lot of binding difficulties.




No comments:

Post a Comment