Saturday 14 December 2013

OUGD504 Design For Print and Web Development

I brainstormed my initial ideas to work out the focus of the restaurant and it's cliental. I also used this as an opportunity to identify the menu specifics, the food and drinks to be served and the overall atmosphere I aimed to create.


I knew what I wanted for the aesthetics of the interior and exterior of the restaurant so I had to give some thought and consideration to the location of the restaurant and how accessible and desirable this would be to the target audience.


I had some trouble while trying to work out a name, so I narrowed it down to three options:
- Jus - the appeal of this were in the fresh connotations the word has, and the potential double meaning, which could imply versatility in the menu (french for juice and for gravy).
- Miel - another foreign word (french for honey) which hints at the idea of natural elements in food, and also makes a point of the restaurants afternoon tea and breakfast concept.
- The Cinnamon Kitchen - makes implications of a country house theme, 'kitchen' gives the name a homely quality, while, like 'miel', cinnamon suggests homemade food and sweet foods like cakes and scones, which make references to one of the main attractions of the restaurant - afternoon tea.

I experimented with some logo and colour scheme ideas at this point in order to help me make a final decision:



I decided to use the name The Cinnamon Kitchen, as I thought it was most applicable to the theme and atmosphere I was aiming to achieve with the interior and food and drink selection. I used a typeface that I had designed previously, using Helvetica Neue Light as a base, and I feel that it helped to achieve the simple but recognisable aesthetic I wanted to maintain.


No comments:

Post a Comment