Tuesday 3 December 2013

OUGD504 Design For Print Final Crit

In todays crit, we were split into two groups. One was to leave their work and supporting material laid out in the studio, then leave for 45 minutes, while the other group came in and assessed it, giving feedback and criticisms.

My group was the first to crit the other group and I found that the stages members of the group were at was extremely varied, with some only just beginning the design stage of production, and others having finished their whole information pack.

When it was time for our work to be critted, I had prepared some questions that I wanted answers to regarding my designs:

  1. Is the stock an appropriate choice for the booklets, or do you think it might be too thick?
  2. Is saddle stitch binding appropriate for the stock and format of the booklets?
  3. Is the content relevant and helpful?
  4. Do these booklets work as a set of 4 (foiling booklet to still be produced)?
Below is the feedback I received:



Person 1:
  • The thickness of the stock is quite effective, especially for the pouches, yet it does make the pages of the booklets quite stiff. Maybe consider a lighter stock for the booklets?
  • In regards to content, it works as a reminder for people so would be useful. Have another read through before printing as I found some typos.
  • I think these books would work as a set of three or four, especially with the packaging. Have you considered making them more aesthetically succinct so that they are a clear set?
  • Saddle stitch is appropriate binding and works well with the digital print booklet.
  • The size is appropriate to purpose making it easy to handle. The layout feels a little disjointed, find a way to bring the information together to make it more succinct.
Person 2:
  • Saddle stitch is appropriate due to the thickness of the stock.
  • The background patterns in the screen and digital print booklets is a bit jarring and effects legibility. Maybe use them more sparingly.
  • Content works as a set but aesthetics are a bit random, try to link booklets together, maybe with colour scheme.


While I did consider the feedback I received to be helpful, I was extremely disappointed and frustrated by the fact that I only received two responses when there were other people in both groups with up to ten separate responses.

In light of this I think that the format of the crits were effective in receiving good and informed advice and criticisms, I thought that there should have been a more definite way to ensure that everyone received the amount of feedback they need to move forward with this project.

In light of the feedback I did receive, I decided to ensure that the booklets were in conjunction with each other by altering the layouts so that they reflected the same format. I also decided to make some changes for the stock of the internal pages. I wanted to keep the cover a thicker stock as I needed it to be thick for the embossing booklet, and having that cover a different stock to the others would make them appear less consistent with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment