Thursday 17 April 2014

OUGD505 Brand Posters

I had earlier decided that in making this brand quite internationally recognised I would use the idea of travel posters as a promotional material. By working the bottle into images of different landmarks around the world, viewers would start to associate the brand with these places.

The first I chose to use was an image of the Statue of Liberty, as I thought that I could replace the torch with the bottle of vodka.

I stated by outlining the basic shape of the statue of liberty, keeping it quite minimal.



Based on some of the research I had done into travel posters of the time, I chose a similar colour scheme, as a lot of them used plenty of orange and blue tints, making it quite vibrant.


I experimented with a few  typefaces to see which would work best, I used Copperplate again, but this appeared too stiff, which I also found to be a problem when using Metropolis.







The typeface I ended up choosing is called 'Wolf in the City', and I felt it fit the theme best as it is quite an elaborate script, which was a style used a lot for travel posters as they were all hand rendered design due to the lack of technology.


I decided to design a background that could be kept fairly consistent in each poster, using a brush stroke aesthetic that could change subtly in colour based on each destination.




I found that I would need more than the backdrop to be the same to make the posters a set so I designed a border that I could use throughout the series, along with a label type of border at the bottom of the page that could contain a slogan or catchphrase for the brand.






No comments:

Post a Comment