Tuesday 14 January 2014

OUGD504 Self Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

The skills I have developed most are in web design, as I entered 2nd year knowing nothing about it and have managed to produce a functioning website over a couple of months. My skills in branding and production are constantly developing and I am applying all the things we learn about effectively. I aim to spend more time planning my work thoroughly in the next module to ensure I don't have to adapt my work based on problems I face.


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I have developed my printing skills, particularly in screen printing and embossing. I am also constantly learning new things about different stocks which has informed some of my design and production decisions effectively, allowing for me to consider things outside of just the design.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I can identify some strengths in the branding side of my work but would like to develop this further. I would like to experiment more with different processes of production and not just rely on a couple. This will add new dimensions to my work and give me a more diverse portfolio.I have had to make some informed decisions regarding the production of my work, as I lost my purse a few days before the deadline, and so had to make do with the printing facilities I could afford. This has taught me how to find alternatives under the pressure of the deadline.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I have again identified that I have weaknesses in my time management. While I felt I rectified this in 1st year, this year we have very much had to manage ourselves and our own time effectively and there have been some imbalances in my work ethic. I plan to set myself my own timetable based on what briefs we get, so I don't allow myself to get behind and I have a regime to stick to. This should stop me from getting overwhelmed by the work and will introduce some order to how I work.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Come up with a timetable for out of college hours, this will allow me to manage my time effectively.
  2. Experiment and further my branding skills, perhaps with some live briefs.
  3. Use the library more for research, don't rely on the internet.
  4. Plan every element of the design and don't just expect it to 'fall into place'.
  5. Do more peer reviewing/critting, most of my work has been  made much better after these.




No comments:

Post a Comment