Wednesday 13 November 2013

OUGD504 Design for Print Digital Print Booklet

In order to maintain a consistency in the booklets to show that they were part of a set, I decided to exhibit that in the layout, so that I could alter the visuals depending on what the topic of each booklet is. I wanted the visuals of each booklet to reflect the theme, therefore I felt i couldn't keep that the same way throughout.

After giving some consideration to the size, I initially started designing the booklets in an A5 format.

Digital printing booklet:



I used a basic grid layout following the rule of thirds, as I thought this would be most applicable to a small format of the booklets.


To begin with I allowed for the points to take a really basic form, and when I started to include some visuals I would alter the text to work in conjunction with it. To begin with I just wanted to get all the required information into the booklets and allow the form to follow the importance of the text.


Since the booklets are not designed to be instructional, simply to offer extra help and pointers, it made sense for them to be in a bullet point format. However, as some areas require more concentration or tips, numbering them allows the reader to identify with the importance that lies in some aspects over others.


At this point I started rethinking the size. While these pages had been designed in an A5 format, my intention is for the booklets to be easy to carry around in your pocket, in which case A5 might be a bit too big. I narrowed it down, making the booklets a slightly larger size than that of a passport, with the dimensions 160mmx120mm.

I wanted to incorporate some slightly diagrammatic images to accompany the text, allowing it to appear more light-hearted and giving it a casual approach while subtly instructing the viewer on some aspects of this print process.

I did this by using some photographs I had taken, placing them onto illustrator and outlining the basic shapes in quite a loose manner, making them appear more hand rendered. I used only black as the outline and in some cases incorporated C, M and Y in too.





On top of these illustrations I gave some consideration to the stock in terms of how the content would transfer, and since I had previously decided on a light, uncoated white stock, I had concerns that for the subject matter, this illustrative approach may be too simple.

I wanted to find a way to exhibit what is a plus about digital printing, and so thought about capitalising on it's ability to produce a sharp image and to replicate colours appropriately.

After giving this some thought, I produced a few images that consisted simple of different coloured inks being splattered onto a page:



I digitally enhanced and adapted these two images and incorporated them into some aspects of the design of the booklets. However, I personally found that there was then a bit too much happening for the pages, especially considering the change in size of the booklets. However, I wanted some other peoples opinions on this, so I kept the booklet in this format for the final crit.

No comments:

Post a Comment