Wednesday 6 November 2013

OUGD504 Peer Review and Progress Crit

I received some mixed feedback on my print publication, with many thinking that the idea of a newspaper/magazine was something that could be interesting to pursue, but, like me, some people had reservations about the production in terms of inclusion of print processes.

Feedback:

  • Divide the format of the newspaper into sections, choosing one of two broad print processes that can be thoroughly explored.
  • Think about where this publication will be sold in order for you to determine a concrete target audience.
  • Could include two pages per process of really interesting designs, kept separate to use as a reference.
  • Allow the stock to reflect the subject matter - keep aesthetically about print as well as the content.
  • Think about including a reference book/manual with the prints and digitally print magazine.
  • Consider do's and don't's for each process.
  • Consider info graphic representation?



Following this session I decided to go back to the concept of a newspaper over a magazine, this time contemplating the inclusion of a reference book, so I did some rough design boards contemplating how I could reference a counterpart book.

 However, this was quite an impulsive decision and as we went through it again in todays progress crit, it came to my attention that there were some aspects of this that I hadn't thought through.

Lorraine suggested to me that I try the newspaper idea now, mainly to get it out of my system and if it didn't work to drop it and start coming up with some new concepts.
One of the areas I needed to think about was target audience, and I needed to narrow it down to be much more specific, as previously it was aimed at people with a similar level of experience in print as me, people who know the basics but that isn't enough.

After this crit, I decided that I would take Lorraine's advice and experiment with the newspaper idea. However before I went ahead with that, I started brainstorming some alternatives to this concept, so that after I tested it, I would have a good starting point if it didn't work out.


No comments:

Post a Comment