Thursday 21 November 2013

OUGD504 Design For Print Embossing Booklet

For the embossing booklet I planned on keeping things much more simple than the other booklets, in order to focus on the fact that embossing is more a finishing process, and to show that it is most effective in it's simplicity.


I chose a type which would typically transfer well to embossing, but found that i would not be able to emboss each character itself as I was printing double sided.






For the imagery in this booklet, I decided to carry on the decorative element over the more instructive illustrations. Since much of the booklet is made of instructive body copy I didn't want to overwhelm it. Similarly, some of the attempts that I made to adapt my photographs of the embossing process to illustrations did not translate as clearly as the screen printing or digital print images did.

I didn't want this to let one booklet down more than the others so I took a different approach, composing a simple image made up of geometric shapes, a style which translates well to embossing, and used the embossing effect on Illustrator to lend an authenticity to the design and tie it in with the theme of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment